• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jura

Jura

100% Cacao

• Administrator

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:05 AM

PoJzgoV.jpg

Colorado officials say a suburban Colorado Springs school district discriminated against a 6-year-old transgender girl by preventing her from using the girls' bathroom, in what advocates described as the first such ruling in the next frontier in civil rights.

Coy Mathis's family raised the issue after school officials at Eagleside Elementary in Fountain said the first-grader could use restrooms in either the teachers' lounge or in the nurse's office, but not the girls' bathroom. Coy's parents feared she would be stigmatized and bullied.

Coy was born a triplet with two sisters and identified as a girl before she began attending elementary school in Fountain-Fort Carson School District 8, an area heavy with military personnel near an Army base. Her father, Jeremy, is an ex-Marine.

At 5 months, she took a pink blanket meant for her sister Lily. Later, she showed little interest in toy cars and boy clothes with pictures of sports, monsters and dinosaurs on them. She refused to leave the house if she had to wear boy clothes. After her parents accepted her identity, they said, Coy come out of her shell.

Coy was diagnosed with "gender identity disorder" – a designation the American Psychiatric Association removed last year from its list of mental ailments. The removal reflected the growing medical consensus that identification as another gender cannot be changed.

Source: http://www.huffingto..._n_3488306.html
Image Source: http://www.danettekayphotography.com/

Looks like at least one other kid of the family has issues they were born with. The pink haired girl on the right is Coy.

Many people believe it's something the mother is forcing on the child because she wanted a boy, but she has girls already. Other believe this isn't anything new, but her age makes her a figure for the media and the rights of transgendered people.

This girl is gonna have an odd and weird time with puberty and relationships.

#2 Raven

Raven
  • Members
  • Watching Macross Plus
  • Reading Battle Angel Alita

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:06 AM

That's pretty sad, for any child to be discriminated against. Just shows you that society sees transgender folks as freaks and less of a regular person. I guess in some cases, you might not know which bathroom to use if you're inbetween (and you don't want to get in trouble for startling people in the bathroom either). But then somebody should have discussed this, parents should have even been able to talk to school officials about it ahead of time. I'm betting no one thought of this, until the issue actually came up.

I don't see how it makes sense to make someone use the boy's restroom, if they look like a girl, act like a girl, and identify them self as a girl...them going into the men's room would cause far more trouble. Not only that, you're making the child feel as if she doesn't belong.

I hate this crap, it's just not right for any child to be treated this way.

#3 EhNani

EhNani
  • Members
  • Watching Hataraku Maou-sama!
  • Reading Nisekoi

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:28 PM

I don't understand how liking girls' clothes at the age of six would be classified as gender identity disorder. When I was four, I wanted everything my sisters had, from their jewelry, to their slippers, and of course clothes. As I grew older I fell in love with helicopters and tanks. Then Power Rangers established my role as the male, and the rest was history. Sheesh.

#4 Jura

Jura

100% Cacao

• Administrator

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:25 AM

The above video is getting huge view numbers. The family went from having a girl themed room to a boys room. I was filled with feels.

This forum now has a non-binary option when or if users put their gender here.