Retailer charges for using old Internet Explorer versions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jura

Jura

100% Cacao

• Administrator

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:12 PM

According to Mr Kogan the idea was born when the company started working on a site relaunch.
Mr Kogan said that even though only 3% of his customers used the old version of the browser, his IT team had become pre-occupied with making adaptations to make pages display properly on IE 7.

"I was constantly on the line to my web team. The amount of work and effort involved in making our website look normal on IE7 equalled the combined time of designing for Chrome, Safari and Firefox."
Mr Kogan said it was unlikely that anyone would actually pay the charges. His goal is to encourage users to download a more up-to-date version of Internet Explorer or a different browser.

Australian electronic online retailer: Kogan
Source: BBC News

I think it's pretty brave to increase cost of items for consumers unless they felt they had to. Most sites would just deal with it or find funding with other means instead of being public about it.

#2 EhNani

EhNani
  • Members
  • Watching Hataraku Maou-sama!
  • Reading Nisekoi

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:42 PM

I still use Internet Explorer for some sites. Why not just design a site for IE only and Firefox, Chrome and Safari users will still see the same site?

#3 Jura

Jura

100% Cacao

• Administrator

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:30 PM

Some sites have a special CSS thing where it addresses certain areas of a site for IE. Others "degrade" when viewed in a browser that doesn't support the design well. It would show buttons square if round in other browsers.

I heard this must have been a publicity stunt because their site still looks awful in Internet Explorer 7.

#4 Raven

Raven
  • Members
  • Watching Macross Plus
  • Reading Battle Angel Alita

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:10 AM

Pro developers develop sites for the best browsing experience possible, then the lesser browsers. No one in their remind mind would address IE first and then do the better browsers, that's ass backwards.

The goal is just to get the site good enough in IE, it's not something you want to spend a lot of time on.