Manga Sales Increased

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jura

Jura

100% Cacao

• Administrator

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:39 PM

Manga sales are possibly up in the US and have increased number of books to hit the top fifty graphic novels based on sales in comic shops and what's shipped. A graphic novel and comic site ICv2 claims some of it to buyers finding new stores to acquire their manga purchases. Supposedly it wasn't just Amazon and Barnes and Noble who gained from the closing of the Borders chain, but also local comic shops.

In the areas I lived there were only a couple or few comic stores and they never carried much manga if any at all. I'm not sure if it was lack of sales, interest, or little profit for the stores. One I think had a couple issues of magazines around with a small manga area in the back and then another years ago that went under pretty fast that had Naruto and many Tokyopop books. Use to be, that showed them. I can't imagine comic stores being a reliable source for manga even if they have quite a bit of it.

The indicator we looked at is for a short period, and measures the relative success of competition from non-manga titles as much as it measures the success of manga. So it will be interesting to see whether the trend persists and whether comic stores, some of whom had cut their manga sections back before the Borders bankruptcy, are ready for another bite of the manga apple.

Attached File  manga_chart.jpg   34.29KB   1 downloads

Source: http://www.icv2.com/...news/22448.html

#2 Raven

Raven
  • Members
  • Watching Macross Plus
  • Reading Battle Angel Alita

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:47 PM

If there was a dedicated store to manga in the US....it might work out better. Just putting poor selections of manga in random stores doesn't really seem all that appealing to authentic readers in my opinion.

It might improve, but I wonder how much. Reading books in general seems to be at a low in the US, I certainly rarely catch people reading them at work or on the bus.

#3 EhNani

EhNani
  • Members
  • Watching Hataraku Maou-sama!
  • Reading Nisekoi

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:32 PM

At least one good came out of Border's death. Local mom and pop comic book stores can sustain steady income without having to rely wholly on Magic: The Gathering and Pokemon cards.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: