jormungand viz white fox

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jura

Jura

100% Cacao

• Administrator

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:01 PM

Jormungand is a complete and licensed by Viz manga with a recently announced anime adaptation coming up soon. It's about a cast of less than a dozen characters who obtain and deal weapons with people who want them and many of them have either special abilities or roles in the group. There's the kooky Koko, a lady with a knife, a boy with sharp awareness, and a older veteran themed man named Lehm as examples. The manga is enjoyed for its chaotic gun fights and perhaps its unique premise. At times it tries to be dark and other times it really gets into the details of their job. People fight for power, pipelines, and more.

I hear some parts are supposed to be really dark, but from what I've seen it isn't really all that exciting. There's a neat part where you're in a building with the characters sitting in front of a guy and the rooms windows. Outside that window is another tall building with snipers. Sadly it didn't give much action but the idea was neat since the characters had to give their comrades time to take the snipers out.

None of the characters really get have much of a given background and most don't have much personality, but perhaps it builds up over the eleven volumes. Mystery boy Johnathan joins the dealers with his quite personality, but over time they do show him eventually coming out of his shell. Hopefully they'll get into what happened to him after his parents were killed and how he was shown to have killed a great many people. He apparently hates weapons and dealers, but he knows he needs them.

Artwork is fine and nothing too worthy of pointing out, but the mangaka hates drawing eyes. There are whole pages with many people with their eye area either blanked out with darkness or glasses. Lots and lots of blanked out or covered eyes and there's even times the characters have circles for eyes. Yes, round single lines for eyes.

The Motonaga Keitaro anime is being produced by White Fox who are still fairly new compared to other anime studios. Viz has around eight volumes of the manga in English published.

I'll likely give the anime a try to see if it comes out better with the story idea, but I think I'll pass on the manga.

#2 EhNani

EhNani
  • Members
  • Watching Hataraku Maou-sama!
  • Reading Nisekoi

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:16 AM

I think this manga tries its best to be Black Lagoon and Lord of War. It still comes up short in terms of artwork, story and likable characters. I tried my best to read more than two volumes, but I'm still on chapter 5. I don't think the anime will improve this very much, but I've been wrong before.

#3 Jura

Jura

100% Cacao

• Administrator

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:40 PM

Jormungand anime preview is out and much of its animation appears heavily computer generated. There's the new Berserk and Cyborg 009 movies that don't even look like anime, too. Hopefully a trend related to a poor budget and not something seen as the future.

#4 Raven

Raven
  • Members
  • Watching Macross Plus
  • Reading Battle Angel Alita

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:19 PM

Looks action packed, I'll check this out.

#5 EhNani

EhNani
  • Members
  • Watching Hataraku Maou-sama!
  • Reading Nisekoi

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:10 PM

I'm expecting more action from an episode of Saki Achiga-hen.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jormungand, viz, white fox