copyright tpp

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jura

Jura

100% Cacao

• Administrator

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:07 PM

Ken Akamatsu, the creator of the Negima and Love Hina manga, warned on Monday that proposed changes to Japan's Copyright Law would "destroy" derivative dōjinshi (self-published) works, and he added that the power of the entire manga industry would diminish as a result.

The Office of the United States Trade Representative describes the TPP (Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement) as "an Asia-Pacific regional trade agreement currently being negotiated among the United States and eight other partners." [b]The agreement aims to make copyright laws uniform across all the signatory countries.[/b]

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-10-31/negima-akamatsu-warns-against-changing-japan-copyright-law

I haven't payed much attention to Anime News Network of late, as the site seems to be in a decline with an increase of filler and video gaming news, but this is a biggy.

American media companies are really strong in law making here in the US, so this will surely allow such corporations to push their influence further. Copyright law protections for a property will be greatly extended by many years and this could restrict some unofficial importing of goods. More importantly importantly it'll make fan, parody, and similar works based on other works harder or illegal.

#2 EhNani

EhNani
  • Members
  • Watching Hataraku Maou-sama!
  • Reading Nisekoi

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:29 PM

I hate piracy as much as the next.

Why do I feel so alone?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: copyright, tpp