Google adds reputation system

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jura

Jura

100% Cacao

• Administrator

Posted 09 June 2011 - 06:19 PM

Forums and social networks like Facebook have it. Reputation buttons will be on sites and individual pages for people to recommend a page or site to other people browsing the web. When you search for something in Google, it'll show a number near it to show other people liked it and on the page that the button was clicked on.

People want search engines to act like search engines and give them the best results they were looking for, not this attempt to promote high traffic big name sites over any smaller ones. It'll make it even harder for a small site to compete to a site like Amazon for specific products if they both have the same item and another problem is exploitation of this for sites trying to take advantage of it.

http://www.google.co...ters/ 1/button/
You can read more there.

#2 Raven

Raven
  • Members
  • Watching Macross Plus
  • Reading Battle Angel Alita

Posted 12 June 2011 - 04:14 PM

I'm not really diggin' it. It's going to be so badly exploited, I can smell the stench already. Big names sites make money off advertising and traffic, and you can believe everyone there will be voting up their place.

The biggest problem is that people are doing it, when the internet is mainly comprised of irresponsible shittards who put popularity over helpfulness. YouTube is a prime example and I'd rather Google not be run like that.

I don't mind individual sites having it, but Google is big and influences the exposure of every website on the net. Any change they make is always theoretically radical simply because of their influence.

I'd rather websites get exposure through outbound/inbound links and direct traffic via google, that shows that people are sharing the content (which shows it is helpful content). The fact that a ranking can be upped just by clicking a button is super sensitive to being exploited and it simply happens too fast. It takes time for links to be build to webpages and for direct traffic to flow, that is the source of credible and solid content.

Often when things are quick and easy, they end up being mismanaged and done poorly. This is also similar to forums with popularity rankings on them, which again, get abused by the senior member's influence there. I've seen it personally.

I agree with you every bit Jura. This to me, makes me think smaller sites will never jump out of the boiling pot and just drown because the higher up sites will constantly get thousands of votes.