Borders without Tokyopop

5 replies to this topic

#1 Jura

100% Cacao

• Administrator
  • 3,751 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:53 PM

Not that it's important to some people since they dropped so many novels and manga, but it's happened. The company that distributes Tokyopop manga to Borders for selling no longer will be for now and perhaps for permanently. You can read more about it at Robot 6/CBR. This likely happened to a lot of distributors because Borders recently suspended payments to all or most of their suppliers.

Borders has big debt and Tokyopop hasn't really recovered from the assault on their on consumers with over licensing and cancelations. Both are at risk.

#2 EhNani

• Blogger
  • 1,049 posts
  • Watching Hataraku Maou-sama!
  • Reading Nisekoi

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:01 PM

People are stupid.

#3 Jura

100% Cacao

• Administrator
  • 3,751 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:53 PM

There's a lot of speculation that Borders may go under this year.

The large bookstore chain is almost gone already. The only question remaining is whether it will be dissolved or sold to a related retailer like Barnes & Noble. It appears Borders has little choice other than to go bankrupt, given its debt and cash-flow situation. Two ominous signs for the bookseller: It says it's unable to pay some of its largest publishers for their books.

Border's stock also dropped under $1 a share, a warning sign that the shares could eventually be delisted -- that is, if Borders lasts long enough. The company's 500 locations may have value to a buyer, but its name does not, being associated with little more than failure.
Sucks because Borders tends to carry new items while Barnes and Noble doesn't. That'll mean I'll and perhaps many others will need to buy online.

#4 Raven

• Advanced
  • 833 posts
  • Watching Macross Plus
  • Reading Battle Angel Alita

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:51 PM

I buy online anyway, so it's "whatever."

But I suspect this is related a lot of why other companies are going down. Stores (in the real world) are having a hard time competing against digital content (think Netflix vs. Blockbuster), so they won't carry something that isn't bringing in the bacon for them.

But it does suck, since when I get a car I'd like to go out to stores and physically buy stuff. This is really just a pattern of events...nothing new to me.

People can't really afford to buy many things in these times (US anyway), and when they do they like to be lazy about it.

#5 Jura

100% Cacao

• Administrator
  • 3,751 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:30 AM

Source: http://online.wsj.co...MTExNDEyWj.html

Yep, looks like it's close folks. They'll either go under or lose a lot of stores as they file for bankruptcy. Barnes and Noble is also suffering from a lot of debt.

#6 Raven

• Advanced
  • 833 posts
  • Watching Macross Plus
  • Reading Battle Angel Alita

Posted 20 March 2011 - 05:44 PM

Wow, that sucks. Same thing that happened to the company I used to work for (Fortunoff).