one manga copyright manga fox

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jura

Jura

100% Cacao

• Administrator

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:47 AM

One Manga will either be a general manga community, shut down, or turn into something else. Either way, here's their message...

"There is an end to everything, to good things as well."

It pains me to announce that this is the last week of manga reading on One Manga (!!). Manga publishers have recently changed their stance on manga scanlations and made it clear that they no longer approve of it. We have decided to abide by their wishes, and remove all manga content (regardless of licensing status) from the site. The removal of content will happen gradually (so you can at least finish some of the outstanding reading you have), but we expect all content to be gone by early next week (RIP OM July 2010).

So what next? We're not really sure at this point, but we have some ideas we would like to try out. Until then, the One Manga forums will remain active and we encourage all of you to continue using them. OMF has developed into a great community and it would be a shame to see that disappear.

You can also show us some love in this moment of sadness by 'liking' our brand new Facebook page. It would be nice to see just how many of you came to enjoy our 'better than peanut butter and jelly' invention.

Regardless of whether you stay with us or not, on behalf of the One Manga team, I would like to thank you all for your unwavering support over the years. Through the ups and downs you have stuck with us, and that is what kept us going.

As a certain Porky was fond of saying... That's all folks!

Time for me to go lay down and let this all sink in.

- Zabi

Manga publishers have recently changed their stance on manga scanlations, huh? I don't think there ever was a really positive sunny outlook on scanlations from publishers. Thoughts on this all? This is a really big site next to Manga Fox...who doesn't seem hit yet.

#2 Raven

Raven
  • Members
  • Watching Macross Plus
  • Reading Battle Angel Alita

Posted 03 September 2010 - 05:32 PM

Manga Fox is awesome, tons of members. Still, I have to question the effectiveness of this.

I really wonder if taking down big sites is going to encourage people to actually buy manga, especially in a recession.

For me, manga presents three major problems vs. its digital format:

1) It's expensive.

2) It takes up a lot of room, more room than most average folks would have room for...

3) It's not nearly as convenient as getting a fix online that only takes a few minutes and I'm sure many kids are reading online that don't drive to the book store.

All of these things result in people going to digital content and not its original paper source, not just manga.

If the manga publishers honestly think they can stamp out these sites, I say the best way to make a profit with convenience is to put their content online and charge people to read it, download it, etc. Maybe like $3.99 per chapter or something of that nature? Once you pay for the chapter, it's yours, like an e-book. I don't think there's a much better solution than that.

There are thousands of sites with the same content, and I doubt people won't just move on to another site. Killing one website is not going to change people's habits. Clearly one of the things publishers/creators do is make their product inconvenient, even if they don't mean to. People will only get content in the way that satisfies them the most.

Take some PC games for example. Some game publishers put locks on their games, so people can only install THEIR game 3 - 5 times. What happens if you get a virus and need to re-install, PC gets fried in a storm, file becomes corrupted, etc? So people resort to torrenting PC games simply because these locks are put into place, due to fear of piracy. But all that does is take away the desire to buy the game, and get it in other ways.

Creators really need to look for a solution that can satisfy people. With the interest as vast as it is, you just can't force people to be old fashioned, and bite the crusty hook. You need to shine that hook, in my opinion and make it look just as appetizing as any other way of obtaining the material. I think selling manga online is the next step for manga-kas if they want to step up their game.

I'd certainly make directories for manga later on if I could buy chapters and save it on my machine. At least right now, because I certainly have no room in this tiny room of mine.

It seems creators are blaming these websites for stealing their shares, but are they really questioning why people would prefer them in the first place? Besides being free, several other factors come into play.

The entire anime vs. fansub scene is going through the same thing....ever been on a site called Crunchy Roll? Sites are starting to release episodes online, in their terms "legally." Not that I really care, but it's something to take note of. I don't know why the manga industry won't adapt a similar concept (and if they have, I haven't heard anything about it).

#3 EhNani

EhNani
  • Members
  • Watching Hataraku Maou-sama!
  • Reading Nisekoi

Posted 05 September 2010 - 10:50 AM

@Raven

There are at least two cases where a publisher released manga digitally in the United States. First is the not quite so infamous NetComics, a Korean publisher who primarily dealt with less-popular titles and Korean manhwa, which went so far as to offer free access to manhwa for fans willing to translate said pages. It was quite popular amongst the underground scanlation scene at initial inception, but lack of good titles led to its current esoteric state.

The second, of course is Digital Manga Publishing's eManga site. Likewise, it's not too popular and therefore lacks a decent line-up. Not that anything DMP has licensed is worth reading. (Exception being Range Murata's Robot Anthologies and Berserk.)

In Japan, there have been several attempts at offering manga online, for free even; but for some odd reason these have ended in failure. Serializations of note, are Comic Seed and Comic High!, and Young GanGan from Square Enix offered free manga for a few titles for a little while. However, the only comic line that is offered in a digital format with any amount of success appears to be cellphone manga. Yes, cellphone manga. Keitai Comic

I think essentially, whenever a publisher tries something convenient and new, people take advantage of it and ruin a good thing. Not to mention, it hardly makes any money. So fiscally, it's wiser to just stick with what works. In Japan at least, I believe the majority prefer actually reading manga in hand; and I am the same way.

#4 Jura

Jura

100% Cacao

• Administrator

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:14 AM

Manga Fox claimed they wouldn't have licensed manga, but now they're back with licensed stuff.

Well, that didnít last long. Yup, those are links to the latest chapters of Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach, all licensed by Viz. There is one Yen Press manga on the site, Darren Shan (released in the U.S. as Cirque du Freak), but the more popular series Black Butler (Kuroshitsuji) and Pandora Hearts are still missing. I spotted some Tokyopop series as well: Maid Sama!, Deadman Wonderland, and Gakuen Alice are all up there and have been updated within the last month, and a number of other high-profile series, including Hetalia, Neko Ramen, and Hanako and the Terror of Allegory, are still posted but have not been updated recently.

Del Rey was not part of the publisher group that asked scan sites to remove their titles, and Manga Fox never took their series down. Consequently, the site is well stocked with manga that have been licensed in the U.S.

Source: http://robot6.comicb...o-its-old-ways/

And they're threatening users who report them, but it's not as if the illegal scanlations are hidden...

#5 EhNani

EhNani
  • Members
  • Reading Nisekoi

Posted 29 October 2010 - 12:17 AM

Someone needs to teach Manga Fox a lesson.

#6 Raven

Raven
  • Members
  • Watching Macross Plus

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:04 PM

You know the saying....forbidden nookie is the most tasteful! lol

I agree with your sentiments Nani, I always prefer paper books.

I just feel that the manga scene is clinging to a dying business model (at least in the US, not so sure about Japan). I mean, if Borders and a ton of other bookstores die off in the US, where are we going to physically go to buy manga in person? This is one of the things that comes to mind, online would be the only way to go.

If Japan is succeeding with their business model, then I agree they should stick to it. I guess the problems with manga being profitable is mainly a US thing.

Actually, I can understand exactly the differences between Japan and US in terms of their sales. What comes to mind is the Japanese arcade scene vs. the US arcade scene.

California and a few others states have arcades where people can get together and fight it out. Japan seems to have a solid, hardcore arcade base that keeps these places profitable. Arcades in most of the US have died off as a result of console gaming and people fear one day there will be no arcades in the US at all.

The only thing I can think of is that it's a different state of mind between the countries. I know Japan has PS3s and 360s as well...so it's obviously not just consoles. Hell, maybe it's just the bad US recession that doesn't really affect Japan. I don't think books in general are doing good in the US though, people don't hardly read as often as they used to.

Ultimately I want to express that if books and bookstores are not doing well in the US, the traditional business model cannot succeed in the US as well.

Of course, there is another factor that I haven't spoke about yet. Anime/Manga/Gaming, it's all becoming more mainstream. Millions of kids are into this stuff and have access to the internet, but they probably don't have a job to buy anything. The internet itself grants you instant satisfaction and for a simple minded kid, there is nothing sweeter. Of course I don't mean to put kids down or anything, it's just something I observe within various fields, whether it be software, gaming, or anime/manga.

I've read plenty of studies that show a huge drop off not only in reading, but in studying ever since the mainstream inception of the Internet (at least regarding the US).

#7 EhNani

EhNani
  • Members
  • Reading Nisekoi

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:24 AM

Ugh, I hate the "no money" argument. These little bastards could easily steal a few bills from their parent's wallet when they're not paying attention. Or they could do what I did, and just pocket meal money and skip lunch: I lived off breakfast for 8 years of primary and secondary education. I owneded 112 volumes of manga before I hit fourteen. It's not hard.

I think the manga boom was just a fad. Companies thought it was going to last forever, but people grow up. Fads come and go. And even as a fad, it wasn't even that mainstream. You saw a couple of shows that mention or feature manga/anime briefly, but that's the extent of it. I think the peak was in 2006. Companies should have slowed down and thought about their business plans before going ahead with their heavy-loss printing and licensing.

Frankly, it's America's own fault for the failing manga business.

#8 Raven

Raven
  • Members
  • Watching Macross Plus

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:46 PM

Yeah, I can agree with that.

Oh and...American kids skip a meal for manga? Hahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! No way dude, that will never happen. Believe me. =P

Someone said manga cafe like they got in Japan might be good for US, since manga is expensive, I believe that would be amazing.

#9 EhNani

EhNani
  • Members
  • Reading Nisekoi

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:55 PM

A manga cafe would be great, but it wouldn't help out the publishers. And a lot of manga cafe in Korea Town I used to frequent ran out of business, so perhaps it doesn't work so well in America.

#10 Raven

Raven
  • Members
  • Watching Macross Plus

Posted 12 June 2011 - 03:31 PM

Yep, I see your point now. It's the same shit with the arcades (especially for SF and such). Japan has this smaller, hardcore niche of players that keep arcades afloat. I see these patterns in many things amongst both countries.

I think a cafe could work if it was set in an area where there was a dedicated user base for it. But knowing America and how people might view it as "dorky" or whatever, it could always end up backfiring. It's unfortunate that when I get a car I won't have any place I can sit down and read them....I sure as hell would support them.

#11 EhNani

EhNani
  • Members
  • Reading Nisekoi

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:44 AM

America seems to suck for a lot of things. Especially arcades. Goddamn, there are no arcades here in Hawaii except Fun Factory and Dave and Buster's. Without requiring explanation, they both suck.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: one manga, copyright, manga fox