What manga should be licensed?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jura

Jura

100% Cacao

• Administrator

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:28 PM

What manga should become licensed, why those, and what about it would make the manga sell well?

#2 EhNani

EhNani
  • Members
  • Watching Hataraku Maou-sama!
  • Reading Nisekoi

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:58 PM

Hm, there isn't a particular manga series I can think of that would be a good choice financially. On the other hand, there are plenty of under-rated manga out there that would do just well enough to struggle through. A small price to pay for more exposure to good manga; but I don't make decisions. Finding and licensing manga isn't my job, but here's my guess:

[b]Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru[/b]
If translated right, this series would displace Sgt. Frog in comedy, and Case Closed in mysteries. I hold much respect for this. Moreso than anything out in America right now. Save 20th Century Boys and Pluto.

[b]Any manga by Gotsubo Ryuuji.[/b]
The guy's got a really simple style, but it's still distinguishable and attractive. The stories aren't impressive, but Americans can't read anything groundbreaking anyways. Even considering my high standards, I've enjoyed everything I've read from the guy, as short as they are.

[b]Franken Fran[/b]
People like disturbing manga. If it's disturbing, and has cute and quirky characters then all the more reason people would like this.

[b]Otoyomegatari[/b]
In direct contrast to Gotsubo Ryuuji, the art by Kaoru Mori is simply stunning and detailed. The stories are really simple, but can reach a level of depth that makes me want to read it again.

[b]Hen-Zemi[/b]
Another reason for America to stop servicing the youths in America. It's a solid piece of work, with odd concepts and strange characters. I believe Genshiken did fairly well in America, despite the obvious alienation most of its readers must have felt.

As for manga with a younger target demographic. Here's the key point: By following the recent trend in American comics, and what has survived to this day. Publishers are simply taking a children's concept (like, a Fairy Tale, Superheroes) and applying them to adult situations or drama. Like murder, conspiracies, theft, puberty and the like. It's an easy enough concept, and I'm sure there are plenty of manga along that line. And no, I don't mean Fairy Tail, that piece of crap manga.

#3 Raven

Raven
  • Members
  • Watching Macross Plus
  • Reading Battle Angel Alita

Posted 03 September 2010 - 05:19 PM

Well, I don't hardly read enough manga to recommend it.

But the answer to what makes it sell is obvious, it's the connection it has with its target audience, this goes for any product you try to sell.

A story with action/romance/comedy/tragedy/style/twists generally does well, I guess because life is very much the same way and those concepts are pretty much universal. Romance would obviously appeal more to women, while comedy/action/adventure would appeal more to boys. But since Americans don't seem to want to read much, I don't know how much of a chance manga stands here. Even I don't buy much of it simply because I lack room for a big manga collection.

#4 EhNani

EhNani
  • Members
  • Reading Nisekoi

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:31 AM

I live in a closet right now and I'm still buying manga. =\

#5 Raven

Raven
  • Members
  • Watching Macross Plus
  • Reading Battle Angel Alita

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:53 PM

I live in a closet right now and I'm still buying manga. =\

xD

Man...I got a bookshelf and it's damn near full. :(

Don't get me wrong, I will FILL it up but then I'll be stacking shit all over the place. :P

I need to finish Berserk, Trigun, Beck, and Azumanga Daioh in particular. I'd like to start One Piece...but uh....I'll be doing that until I die.

#6 Jura

Jura

100% Cacao

• Administrator

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:04 PM

I thought Flat would be a good manga to license and it was not long ago by Tokyopop, but Tokyopop stopped publishing manga. Maybe Yen Press will grab it. A fairly young guy named Heisuke is put in charge of taking care of his very young cousin Aki. The kid is a introverted, but the two grow to like being with each other. Eventually the kid opens up.

#7 EhNani

EhNani
  • Members
  • Reading Nisekoi

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:48 PM

Eventually the kid opens up.

...His legs? You sicko.

Otoyomegatari got licensed by Yen Press.

Sort of sucks, because I was hoping it'd be Vertical, Inc. Right now, they are the only manga publisher with good insight when it comes to manga. But I guess they're just too small to invest into an unknown such as this.