• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jura

Jura

100% Cacao

• Administrator

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:56 PM

Here's some crazy game changing news.

The maintainers of MangaHelpers, a site that aggregated unauthorized scans of manga with translations, have announced that they have taken steps to shut down the site. While they expressed their belief that they have served publishers' market reach, the maintainers acknowledged that continuing to operate is no longer an option. Uploading and linking to untranslated manga scans and scanlations have been disabled on the site, and access to the current library is only available to scanlators to allow them to back up their work.

MangaHelpers also announced the pending launch of OpenManga, a new platform to allow manga creators to distribute their work digitally. The program will feature the ability for artists to sell merchandise and accept donations. The new program will also provide ways for users to legally translate and localize these manga. A website with a splash image has already launched. Manganovel Corporation, a online manga company 89% owned by the conglomerate Toshiba Corporation, launched a similar service in 2007, but it is no longer operating.

Open Manga's site with splash page: http://openmanga.org/
Source: http://www.animenews...ga-plans-launch

Manga Helpers is the same site that is run by the arrogant douches who acted as if manga companies owed them. All this after news of various American and Japanese publishers deciding to team up to combat online scanlations of manga. On a related note, there's a neat well written blog entry by Okazu. Manga scanlations were originally created to solve a problem and now we have another problem. Finding a new solution other than endless combat with companies and repetitive one sided views by bloggers and fans.

#2 EhNani

EhNani
  • Members
  • Watching Hataraku Maou-sama!
  • Reading Nisekoi

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:43 PM

I'm surprised you didn't link my MH post. =(

#3 Jura

Jura

100% Cacao

• Administrator

Posted 12 June 2010 - 07:50 AM

I knew there were a couple threads that had discussion of it, but I didn't find it through the search thing. Oh well, here's the thread.

These companies are getting pretty serious, but then at the same time the manga reader sites are hiding the manga series instead of actually removing them. Not sure if that should be surprising or not.