• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Raven

Raven
  • Members
  • Watching Macross Plus
  • Reading Battle Angel Alita

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:20 PM

I like to develop websites in my spare time...

Upon MS developing new browsers, it gets me excited and annoyed simultaneously (sucking history), lol, but maybe something useful will come out of it.

I'm wondering...what browsers should I have or what is the most beneficial for have to be using right now?

As of now, I have Opera, Firefox, and IE 7.

Should I ditch Opera for Safari? Obviously the majority goes to IE/FF, but with Google making a browser, things will slowly but surely change.

I at least what 3-4 browsers but definitely not more. The two main ones must be Firefox and Internet Explorer. Should I just get google chrome/safari and call it a day?

#2 Jura

Jura

100% Cacao

• Administrator

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:36 PM

Safari and Chrome both use the open source engine Web Kit. Opera isn't used much, but generally does a wonderful job of rendering sites unless the person who designed it had no clue what they were doing or some piece of CSS hasn't been widely adopted. That's been my experience using them as a normal user. Generally it's Firefox, IE, Safari, and Opera.

From looking at Anime Gerad's traffic, you may also want to look into how well the site works on the iPhone and other portable devices.

#3 Raven

Raven
  • Members
  • Watching Macross Plus

Posted 23 March 2009 - 11:10 PM

Cool, thanks for the tips man. I guess I'll keep Opera and adopt safari.

No reason to have two browsers with the same engine...

Edit!: Holy snap, I've been toying with Safari as it catches my interest more than anything else.

It seems I thought my computer was slow because Firefox was basically choking on JavaScript, while Safari goes through JS like cake. Seriously, test this page in both browsers, go under customer images and click "see larger image."

Link: Nausicaa Test

I really thought it was my computer, but it seems I was wrong. It seems it depends more on how a browser parses JavaScript, Safari upon furthest testing looks ultra quick.

Definitely a surprise. Though it seems the title text for Safari (next to the Safari icon in the upper left hand corner) is blurry as hell, what's up with that?

Firefox tested time = 9 - 10 seconds
Safari tested time = 1 - 2 seconds

In short...I'm gasping for air, though I have read that Safari lacks the security that other browsers have and that they want no add-ons for their browser...a big shortcoming in terms of a developer using a browser.

#4 Jura

Jura

100% Cacao

• Administrator

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:20 AM

The text in the tabs? Likely to who which tab you're viewing. It lightens up if you're not on that tab. Safari 3 was already fast, but one of the goals in 4 was to make JavaScipt fast.

#5 Raven

Raven
  • Members
  • Watching Macross Plus

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:29 AM

Yes, the text within the tabs. It should be crystal clear, I hope they fix that soon as it is a usability issue (although there could be worse things).

I just....was so shocked after testing Safari, it's my official second browser as of now, replacing Opera. Though I keep IE, FF, O, and S all on my system as I want to test multifarious browsers at certain times. It beats Firefox in JS parsing hands down, I wonder how google chrome compares...

CSS/XHTML parsing time looks about equal, so the biggest factor definitely comes into equation when a page contains some sort of script/program.

They definitely hit the nail on the head in version four, Safari literally opens that window instantly. I can barely count it, on the other hand, Firefox is about five times slower loading the window. This happens with anything that Firefox opens if JavaScript is involved. At one time, I even thought my internet connection was slow, but evidently not.

You were right about Safari bro. I love apple for this.

#6 profm

profm
  • Members

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:26 PM

If you haven't tried google chrome I've heard lots of good things about it as well as that it rivals firefox in speed and reliability plus its backed by google's technology so its got a good base to expand upon. What other browsers have you used besides those three or is that all of them?

#7 Raven

Raven
  • Members
  • Watching Macross Plus

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:46 PM

If you haven't tried google chrome I've heard lots of good things about it as well as that it rivals firefox in speed and reliability plus its backed by google's technology so its got a good base to expand upon. What other browsers have you used besides those three or is that all of them?

I realize your message is a tad dated, but I'll reply anyway: Firefox/Chrome/Safari/Opera/IE 9/IE Tester.