One Piece still has it

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Jura

Jura

100% Cacao

• Administrator

Posted 13 June 2008 - 05:46 AM

One Piece volume fifty sells 1,074,745 copies in a week while Naruto's volume forty-two sells 922,782 in about six weeks in Japan. This shounen manga has been going for over ten years and still has a giant fan base. How can such a manga keep going like this for so long? Maybe this is a sign of Naruto is dying down a bit.

#2 Tenkyuu kage

Tenkyuu kage

Shadow of the heavens

• Members
  • Watching Speed Grapher...episode 7
  • Reading too busy to read, working on car...

Posted 23 June 2008 - 04:23 PM

DIE NARUTO....

O..........

GODAMN DBZ 2

Even Gundamn isn't that annoying...

#3 Dei-Dei

Dei-Dei

wat

• Members
  • Watching Fate Stay Night
  • Reading Azumanga Daioh

Posted 23 June 2008 - 06:25 PM

One...Piece? -Gasp- How is this possible! I suppose I might go read it after all...I know the dub was absolute crap

#4 Fate

Fate
  • Members
  • Watching Fullmetal Alchemist
  • Reading Ga-Rei

Posted 23 June 2008 - 07:12 PM

Wow, 1 million copies? That's insane. I never understood why people liked One Piece.

#5 Jura

Jura

100% Cacao

• Administrator

Posted 24 June 2008 - 02:15 AM

One Piece remained popular because new characters didn't mean the same plot twists. That and it has a decent mix of characters that would be hard to copy in another anime.

#6 Tenkyuu kage

Tenkyuu kage

Shadow of the heavens

• Members
  • Watching Speed Grapher...episode 7
  • Reading too busy to read, working on car...

Posted 24 June 2008 - 04:00 PM

Well, its getting a tad long in my opinion, I wonder what the ending was or is...

#7 Kero Wolfe

Kero Wolfe
  • Members
  • Watching Azumanga Diaoh
  • Reading One Piece

Posted 26 July 2008 - 06:01 AM

I can't believe the reaction all of you are giving. One Piece is an amazing series that is in my book the best shounen ever made. The characters all have depth and history which adds a lot to the storyline. Yes 4kids killed the anime with there dub but that doesn't mean the manga is the same way. In fact there is a lot left to tell in One Piece but I'll leave that for you to find out on your own. This is seriously the only manga that had me gripping the arm rests of my chair so tight that my knuckles were white. It is also the only manga to ever make me literally fall out of my chair laughing.

#8 randomuser83

randomuser83
  • Members
  • Watching Bleach
  • Reading My Girl

Posted 29 July 2008 - 05:18 PM

Both one piece and naruto are great so I hope they end when the time is right not when haters try and force them.

#9 Raven

Raven
  • Members
  • Watching Macross Plus
  • Reading Battle Angel Alita

Posted 06 August 2008 - 05:40 PM

I've told Fate about this numerous times. It's because the writing is good, no suck ass fillers, and the plot is original. Naruto (the second part and the fillers) ruined it, in my opinion Naruto was just fine until they decided to put fillers into it. Once that happened it went to hell.

I can watch OP any day, any time and I'll love it.

#10 Jura

Jura

100% Cacao

• Administrator

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:32 PM

A really really well made video showing a ton of edits to the Western version of One Piece to the original Japanese. One Piece has unedited versions in English now if that that matters. Most of this is from when 4Kids had the anime licensed.

#11 Raven

Raven
  • Members
  • Watching Macross Plus

Posted 18 April 2010 - 03:28 PM

I know...it's amazing how they can put in so many meager, unnecessary and stupid edits. For them it's better to ruin a story about combat than let someone else take it who would do a decent job. I've haven't kept up to date with the Funimation dub but I hear it's much better.

#12 EhNani

EhNani
  • Members
  • Watching Hataraku Maou-sama!
  • Reading Nisekoi

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:08 PM

It's the only shounen jump series I like.

#13 Zulehan

Zulehan

The Sun Titan

• Members
  • Reading One Piece

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:22 PM

Jura,

Thanks for sharing that video showing the edits. I knew One Piece was extensively edited in the original English dub, but some of the edits were still hilarious to see, such as the weapons being changed into toys, and Sanji's cigarette being replaced with a lollipop.

Anyways, One Piece is the only manga I'm reading now. I like that the story is quickly paced, and that Mr. Oda doesn't waste much space on his pages. Also, it's amazing that the story only gets better after all this time.

Regards,

Kevin

#14 Raven

Raven
  • Members
  • Watching Macross Plus

Posted 03 September 2010 - 05:14 PM

If the Japanese are still into Naruto.....they must really enjoy shit. I've heard all types of horrendous travesties that have transpired in the Narutoverse, hopefully it dies in a shithole where it belongs. Had Kishimoto kept up with his quality work (and this goes for Bleach too), the trinity of shounen series would be golden. One Piece is by far the longest series I've seen succeed and keep people intertwined in the heart of the story. Seriously, I'm buying the series when some decent boxsets come out (funimation dub, hopefully there'll be an option for the Japanese version if I disdain it). Doubt I'd have room for the manga.

The only other shounen series that appears to keep up in quality is HunterxHunter, by the same man who made Yu Yu Hakusho.