Biggest mistakes when starting a forum?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jura

Jura

100% Cacao

• Administrator

Posted 13 February 2007 - 07:07 PM

Too many forum sections would likely be mine. No way new members would fill tons of them up just because they're there. Like having a forum for every little thing for a place with less then ten members. Awful.

#2 phil 91

phil 91
  • Members

Posted 14 February 2007 - 09:02 AM

Spelling mistakes and poor skin or forum graphics can put potential members off your board. If things are not correctly spelt, it gives a real unprofessional finish on the forum. Also try to get a completley unique and well made skin and banner. It is easy to get a skin, custom built, but it is worth it in the long run. The skin is one of the main reasons that guests will decide to register or not. If you get it right early on, you will get pleanty of new members. Just my advice though.

Hope it helps

#3 Raven

Raven
  • Members
  • Watching Macross Plus
  • Reading Battle Angel Alita

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:30 PM

I'd say the biggest mistake is not being patient with yourself. You need to market your place and network, also research traffic building. Word of mouth is just as often as powerful is not more than the almighty search engine. A relationship forged by a friend and being referred to a site is many times more powerful than the description of a website in a google search.

Build on your content and keep it coming, interact with your audience and network on some other forums too. Of course, there are advantages to having a smaller community. A community where hundreds of posts are made inside a board within an hour is no fun.....at ALL.

I'd prefer 20 - 30 active members on my site (which means you'll probably have 1000 - 2000 total signups) than say 100 - 200 active members. A hardcore dedicated base is just so much more personal and you can focus on relationship building.

Building a community is all about time, patience, and effort. One block at a time, we'll get there. If you've got the content and the marketing, you'll be where you choose to be within time.

I once saw a Detective Conan board (proboards) and the skin was awful. But the community was thriving. For two reasons:

1) Relevant content to the forum's themes.
2) An active user base. The people make the community and without it....there is nothing to really dig into. It's like starting a blog, if you want it to be successful, you should get some authority on a topic.